Click here to Return to Home Page
Richard Champion Porcelain
William Cookworthy was a Quaker Pharmacist living in Plymouth. He set up a factory in 1768 to produce porcelain using Cornish china clay and Cornish petuntse stone . He worked out a formula to emulate the famous Chinese porcelain produced in Jingdezhen. The factory was moved to Bristol in 1770, and was taken over by a Quaker friend Richard Champion. Champion refined the Cookworthy products and manufactured some fine and elegant tea sets, mugs, vases and statuettes. The factory remained active until 1781.
We have a selection of Champion porcelain in our collection at the Frenchay Village Museum. There are always a few items on display,